Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reminiscing about my trip to Ghana

My trip to Ghana was my first time to leave the country.
I flew from Dallas to London and had a very long layover in London. In London we took a bus from the airplane to Terminal 5 where all the passengers would go through customs. As we rode the bus to Terminal 5 I had to continually remind myself that we were really on the correct side of the road and would not crash into someone on our way. Everything around me was new and different from anything that I had every experienced before. I went through customs and then had about a 8 hour layover. I was continually trying to find out what gate I was supposed to be at because I wanted to be so sure that I did not miss the plane, the London Heathrow airport is so big that they don't know what gate you are going to be at 8 hours in advance. After walking around and looking at all the stores in the airport and eating a meal they finally knew what gate I would depart from to fly to Accra. As I looked for a place to sit in front of my gate I started to get a taste of what it was going to be like for a white girl to live in Africa, the great majority of people waiting to board the plane were black. We boarded and had a nice flight to Accra, I arrived in Accra at about 8:30 Ghana time which was about 3:30 Texas time. I was met by a fellow Texan that ran the Accra guesthouse. I was very jet lagged and had a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. At 5:30 the next morning I left the guest house and by 6:30 I was on my way farther into Ghana to Tamale the closest big city to Nalerigu which is where the Dickens live and work. The Dickens picked me up at the Tamale airport and we shopped some before heading back to Nalerigu, here are some pics of things that I noticed or seemed odd to me on our shopping expedition.This picture I took for Mommy, I thought it was just cool that they had a brand of palm oil named after her. :)
In Africa they sell MSG and in America we try to stay away from it. Skippy peanut butter is my favorite kinds of peanut butter and I was soo excited when I noticed that they had it in Africa but then I did the math and for a little like 12 oz jar it cost almost $13. American Dollars, I decided that I didn't love it that much lol

No comments:

Post a Comment