Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fufu and Ground Nut Soup

I have been in Ghana for a little over 5 weeks now and until Tuesday I had not eaten any traditional African food. I have had a lot of very good food at the Dickens some I had not tried before but not anything that was African really. On Tuesday Hollie put Fufu and Ground Nut Soup on the Menu. Baby, the Dickens worker, went out and bought the ingredients and made it for supper. It was very different from anything I have had before but in a good way, it is probably not something that I would just want to eat a lot but it was fun getting to try it. The ground nut soup is a lot like any other soup but it has nut butter in it which gives it a very different flavor . Fufu is made by getting these huge yams, you peel them and steam them and then you start pounding them, the Ghanaians have a huge mortar and pestle that they use to do this. They pound the yams and as one person pounds another person kind of stirs it to make sure that it all gets mixed together, as they mix they add a little water until it gets to the right constancy. When they are finished it is stiff and slightly sticky. The Ghanaians eat it by tearing off pieces of Fufu and dipping it in the soup, but we ate it the more American way using a spoon. It was really neat to be able to watch the process and see how they made it and to get to taste some of the African style food.

2 comments:

  1. Well that is interesting. And a really big stick. You'll have to make some African food for church when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool. annie post again, ok ??????????????????????????? this is joy and we like your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete